CFCA serves more than 83,000 sponsored children and elderly in Guatemala. A great way to feel connected to the people of Guatemala is to make food from the region.
Elizabeth, mother of a CFCA sponsored youth in Guatemala, Florita, shows how to make these delicious corn tortillas from scratch!
Elizabeth begins making the tortillas by soaking the dried corn for several hours in a large pot. Once the corn has been washed and softened, she takes the pieces to be ground at the mill. After the corn has been ground, she can begin the tortilla-making process.
We’ve provided you with a shortcut version of Elizabeth’s yummy tortillas! Enjoy this famous and delicious treat.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5-15 minutes
Yield: 16 tortillas
- 2 cups of maseca (corn flour)
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1/4 tablespoon of salt
1. Begin by mixing the corn flour with the water and salt.
2. Mix ingredients until you have reached a play-dough consistency. Remove a small piece, and roll dough into a small ball.
3. Shape the tortillas by hand, with a rolling pin or use a tortilla maker. Tortillas should be flat, thin and circular in shape.
4. Cook both sides of tortillas in a pre-heated skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until golden-brown.
5. Remove cooked tortilla and place in a basket or a covered dish to keep warm.